New event! Not just for me – this one is at least pseudo-new for everyone! The eLearning Guild is trying a new recipe that blends mLearnCon with Performance Support Symposium along with a dash of video to cook up at FocusOn Learning (#FocusOnLearn). I’ll be in Austin (also a first for me) for this event (June 8 – 10) and am excited to see what the Guild has up their sleeve around these 3 core themes that I believe are of immense importance for organizations that need to modernize their approach to workplace learning. And, coming on the heels of #ATD2016, I’m already in FULL CONFERENCE MODE!
As usual, I have prepared my personal conference agenda well in advance. The schedule below represents my FocusOn … if I actually went to every activity as planned. Of course, I expect to deviate from this agenda as needed to make the most of my time in Austin. But, as I recommend to first-time attendees, it’s always best to start with a plan.
In addition to my primary session selections for each time slot, I have listed both an alternate as well as a suggested session, which is likely led by an awesome member of my PLN. I am also slated to speak and will post a summary of my presentation themes before the event.
Let me know if it looks like we’ll cross paths during FocusOn or if you’d just like to get together and chat!
7:30am | Morning Buzz: Enabling 70:20:10 (Bob Mosher – MB02)
- ALT: Mobile and the Post-Learning Experience (Shahin Sobhani – MB09)
- SUGGESTED: Data Interoperability and the xAPI (Chad Udell – MB07)
8:30am | Designing the Future (Scott Dadich – GS01)
10:45am | Just Because You CAN Make a Video Doesn’t Mean You SHOULD (ME! – 112)
11:45am | Lunch w/ the Docents
1:00pm | The Secret to Better Performance? Less Training (Mike Taylor – 211)
- ALT: Coaching SMEs to Produce Rock-Star Videos (Debbie Richards – 205)
- SUGGESTED: Agile Project Management for Performance Support Projects (Megan Torrence – 210)
2:30pm | Promoting the Learning Experience Through User-Generated Videos (Melissa Council – 311)
- ALT: How Disruptive Learning Technologies Deliver Higher Knowledge Levels (Anders Gronstedt – 306)
- SUGGESTED: Increasing Performance with Mobile Games and Gamification (Brenda Enders – 313)
4:00pm | Measure the Unmeasurable: How Mobile Can Transform the 70 of the 70:20:10 (Eric Duffy – 406)
- ALT: Using Video for Learning in the YouTube Era (Ty Marbut – F03)
- SUGGESTED: BYOL: Make Mobile Social (Urbie Delgado – 402)
5:15pm | Fun and Games with Inkling (T108)
Evening plans TBD …
7:30am | Microlearning Video (Hans de Graff – MB13)
- ALT: Improving Learning Design (Clark Quinn – MB11)
- SUGGESTED: Agile Project Management (Megan Torrance – MB15)
8:30am | How Data is Changing Learning and Performance (Soraya Darabi – GS02)
10:45am | Shifting the Organizational Mindset to Performance Support (Beth Daniel, Bob Mosher – 511)
- ALT: Binge Learning in the Streaming Age: Trends, Technologies, and Strategies (James Cross – 507)
- SUGGESTED: Ten Tips for Creating Compelling Screencasts (Mark Lassoff – 506)
11:45am | LUNCH
1:00pm | Video Production Framework for Decentralized Creation (Angie Miller, Marc Donelson – F05)
- ALT: Designing for the Moment of Apply (Beth Daniel, Conrad Gottfredson – 612)
- SUGGESTED: Flipping the Mobile Model: Beacons, Tablets, and xAPI Tracking (Megan Torrance – 607)
2:30pm | Interactive Video: Creating the Best of All Training Worlds (Art Kohn – 709)
- ALT: Exploring BYOD Approaches for Mobile Learning (Debbie Richards – 707)
- SUGGESTED: Advanced Augmented Reality: OCR Case Study on Facial Detection and More (Chad Udell – 706)
4:00pm | Scaffolded Design for Mobile Learning (Julian Stodd – 805)
- ALT: How Performance Support Saved the Classroom! (Bob Mosher, Conrad Gottfredson – 814)
- SUGGESTED: Design for Mobile: From Storyboards to Wireframes (Sarah Gilbert – 807)
5:00pm | DemoFest
7:30pm | #lrnchat LIVE! (at least I assume some of us will)
7:30am | Learning in the Workflow (Conrad Gottfredson – MB24)
- ALT: Making Video More Engaging (Matthew Pierce – MB23)
- SUGGESTED: Writing a Winning Conference Speaking Proposal (David Kelly – MB25)
8:30am | Performance Support in Context: Learning and Development in Flux (Clark Quinn – FS06)
- ALT: Project Management for Video eLearning (Sam Rogers – 906)
- SUGGESTED: Using Mobile Devices to Create Design Assets (Bianca Woods – 904)
Time to head home!
What’s on your GOTTA DO list for FocusOn Learning 2016? Let me know if you’d like to chat sometime during the event, and be sure to give up a high 5 if you see me in the halls!
JD Dillon is one of the most prolific authors and speakers in workplace learning today. He has spent 20 years designing learning and performance strategies for respected global organizations, including The Walt Disney Company, Kaplan, Brambles, and AMC Theatres. JD is the founder of LearnGeek and Chief Learning Architect with Axonify.